Monday, June 13, 2011

Day One

(Sugar free breakfast!)

So I made it. As of 10:03pm as I type these words. No sugar. I have to say, day one wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. There were definitely moments when my sweet tooth kicked into high gear, but I didn’t give in. I persevered. Here is how I did it:

Breakfast: I wanted to start the day off with something on the sweeter side. I was thinking leftover banana pancakes from Sunday, but I stopped myself because I know that this is where the downfall begins! First thing in the morning it is so important to avoid spiking your blood sugar with something sweet. Pancakes, French toast, anything syrup covered, or cereal with added sugar can take your blood sugar for a wild ride. Today I had scrambled eggs, quinoa, and fresh salsa. It was so delicious, high in protein and low in sugar. Perfect! It held me over for about four hours until lunch. No sugar cravings.

Lunch: I had a delicious bowl of split pea soup, kale and beet salad and cottage cheese. I wanted to go heavy on the protein again to avoid the blood sugar spike and crash that would set me up for more sugar cravings later on.

I had a final today at 5pm. The hardest time of the day for me was after lunch and before my final. The girls I was studying with decided to split a piece of carrot cake. I was offered a bite of a chocolate cupcake at one point. I said no. I made it. I snacked on a Lara Bar, which has dates, nuts and spices. It was sweet enough to get me through the craving and gave me the boost I needed before taking my exam. Success!
(My lovely ladies chowing down on carrot cake! Torture!)

After the exam a bunch of us met up for drinks. I had two beers, a salad and sandwich at the bar. Done. No sugar.

I’d have to say that the hardest part of the day was the 2pm-4pm hour. I am going to have to think of some good strategies to deal with that tomorrow. For today, no sugar and feeling good! How was your day? What hour do your sugar cravings strike?

No comments:

Post a Comment