Monday, September 19, 2011

Snack Attack!

(Yummy, fast, easy, portable, whole food snack! Yeah Larabar!)

Yesterday I had a 12-mile training run. Sometimes on the day after long runs I am hungry, like all day long. Today is that kind of day. This morning I planned on that and packed a morning snack, apple and peanut butter. I also packed a yummy lunch, leftover couscous salad with veggies and garbanzo beans. I also threw in some grapes and snap peas to munch on in the afternoon. Yum! Around 10:30 I am ready for my apple and peanut butter and I reach for my lunch sack and…I forgot my lunch! So much for all my planning…

I’m a snacker. I always have been. Jon tells me that I need to carry a bag of nuts with me at all times. I get hungry between meals and if I don’t eat something I get really hungry. Then when it comes time to eat, I binge. Everyone does this, and the best way to avoid it is to snack. When we make healthy snack choices, it’s easy to make a wise decision at mealtime about what to eat and how much. When you go into a meal feeling super duper hungry because you haven’t eaten in 6 or 7 hours, you are likely to eat WAY too much. I have been seeing a lot of clients in my sports nutrition rotation that are interested in weight loss. The first thing that they do, before talking to a dietitian, is cut calories by cutting out snacks. Bad idea. First of all, when you are exercising more, you need a steady stream of calories throughout the day to balance your blood sugar and to give you fuel for your workouts. Second of all, everything I just mentioned.

(Watch out. It's easy to eat the whole bag of trail mix. Portion out 1/4-1/2 cup before you start munching!)

Not sure what to snack on? Here is a list of healthy “real food” snacks between 100-200 calories to get you through your day full of energy! Carry one with you in car, bag, or purse for when hunger strikes.

Snack ideas

  • 1 medium apple and 1 oz cheddar cheese

  • ½ banana and 1 tablespoon peanut butter

  • 6oz, 2% Greek yogurt and 1 cup strawberries

  • 1 brown rice cake and ¼ avocado

  • ¼ cup 2% cottage cheese and 1 cup diced cantaloupe

  • 1 slice of deli turkey, one slice Ezekiel whole grain toast, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard

  • 1 string cheese and 1 Wasa cracker

  • ¼ cup trail mix

  • 1 hard boiled egg and 14 baby carrots

  • 1 corn tortilla, 1 oz pepper jack cheese, and 2 tablespoons salsa

  • ½ whole wheat English muffin, 1 ounce part skim mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons marinara sauce

  • 3 celery stalks and ¼ cup hummus

  • 10 whole wheat pretzel sticks and 2 tablespoons low fat garden vegetable cream cheese

  • 2 whole wheat graham crackers and 1 cup of applesauce

  • Small bowl of miso soup with tofu and seaweed

  • 1 oz smoked salmon, 1oz goat cheese and 2 Ak Mak crackers

  • 1 stalk of “ants on a log” celery with peanut butter and raisins
  • 1/2 cup pistachios with the shells on
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds in 4 tablespoons milk of your choice with a couple drops of stevia
What did I end up eating today? 1/2 a Lara bar that was in my bag (thank god), and a so so sandwich from Au Bon Pain. What is your favorite healthy snack?

1 comment:

  1. Great advice! My digestive system does not agree with the sports gels/beans on long runs. The kids and I make our own "Lara" bars as a super easy snack and activity. We press them into silicone ice cube trays so that they come out as neat designs. It also makes them super easy to pop in your mouth for a quick snack. Keep the great advice coming Sarah!

    ReplyDelete